Prof. Ashok Jhunjhunwala is Professor of the Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, India. B.Tech degree from IIT, Kanpur, in 1975 MS (1977) and Ph.D degree (1979) from the University of Maine, USA Assistant Professor, Washington State University from 1979 to 1981. Faculty at IIT-Madras, since 1981 Dr.Jhunjhunwala leads the Telecommunications and Computer Networks Group (TeNeT) at IIT Madras.
This group is working closely with industry in the development of a number of Telecommunications and Computer Network Systems. TeNeT group has incubated a number of R&D companies which work in partnership with TeNeT group to develop world class technologies. The products includecor DECT Wireless in Local Loopsystem, Fibre Access Network, DSL Systems and several other systems. They include - Midas Communications, Banyan Networks, Nilgiri Networks, Vembu Systems, etc The group has recently incubated a company - n-Logue - whose aim is to install telephone and Internet in every village in India.
* Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award for outstanding contributions in the field of Engineering Sciences in 1998
* Dr.Vikram Sarabhai Research Award for the year 1997.
* Millennium Medal at Indian Science Congress in the year 2000
* Dr. P.Sheel Memorial Lecture Award by National Academy of Sciences, India, for the year 2001 .
* Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering, Indian NationalScience Academy and National Academy of Science
* Governor of International Council for Computer Communications (ICCC)
* Padmashri, in 2002